The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) National Water Center, built in 2014, is a 65,000-square-foot “green” building located on the campus of the University of Alabama. The NWC is the U.S. center for water forecast operations. The center supports research and collaboration across federal water science and management agencies.
In 2017, NOAA found itself in need of multiple interior and exterior security upgrades. As a preferred contractor for NOAA, Ahtna Global was contracted to perform the necessary building improvements. Ahtna Global successfully completed the project on time and within budget all while working in an occupied facility and managing the project remotely.
The scope of work consisted of the following actions:
- Installation of six new interior card readers, including REX, door sensors, lock controls and all associated wiring.
- Installation of one new indoor security camera connected into the existing security system.
- Installation of seven new exterior security PTZ cameras connected into the existing security system.
- Installation of a new iron, commercial grade parking gate including an intercom, call station, and card reader.
- Installation of two Lenel Onguard compatible Aiphones at different locations.